Sunday, May 15, 2011

Apple Dutch Baby

The weather is still not great and once again I am stuck inside.  While browsing around the food sites I found a recipe for a "dutch baby" which sounded kind of naughty to me but it was on a food blog so I figured it couldn't hurt to click on it.  I am so glad I did!

This is really a go-to dessert in our house because its so quick and easy and we always have the ingredients to make it around our house.  Its kid friendly, adult friendly, and is also cooked in my very favorite cast iron pan which makes me like it more I think.

Apples Cooking in the cast iron skillet.
Apple Dutch Baby

Filling
4-8 Apples (depending on size and how thick you want your filling), any type, my favorite is granny smith
Cinnamon, to taste
1 T Apple cider vinegar
1 T Water
2-3 T Palm Sugar

Topping
1 C Flour
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Lemon Zest (optional)
6 Eggs worth of Ener-g Egg Replacer (with the 2T of water per egg)
1 C Soymilk
1/2 t vanilla
1 t Cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 425 F.

2. Slice apples and place them into a 9 inch cast iron skillet.  Saute them on medium high heat, making sure they do not burn for 4-5 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients in the filling to the skillet and continue to saute until the apples are just soft. Remove from heat. Spread evenly on bottom of the pan.

3. In a separate bowl mix all the ingredients for the topping.  It will be a little runny. Pour over the apples and immediately put in the oven.  Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.  Allow to cool slightly before serving.

I use a spoon to scoop servings out of the skillet and then flip each scoop upside down so the filling is on top.  This is great with some vegan ice cream or with a splash of soymilk.  Makes a very satisfying late night treat!

The little white spots are baking soda that came out of the bottom of the jar I had in little rocks.  Time for a new jar! 

No comments:

Post a Comment