So its been raining a lot lately and I've been finding myself checking the weather daily, waiting for the next sunny day that I can go outside and garden. Most days start with dewy mornings and end in afternoon rain which leaves me very little time for gardening and yard work and lots of time for cooking!
These muffins take a little bit of prep but they are well worth it. Three of these is easily a meal and since they are whole wheat, and packed full of carrots, raisins, and apple I dont feel guilty. They make great snacks, and would be wonderful to have at a brunch.
Yields 2 Dozen Muffins
2 C Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 C Raisins (black or golden)
3/4 C Palm Sugar
2 t Baking Soda
3 t Ground Cinnamon
1 t Ground Ginger
1/2 t Salt
2 C (generous) Peeled and Grated Carrots (used the food processor for this)
1 Large Granny Smith (or other tart) apple, grated
1/2 C dessicated coconut
1/2 C (generous) Chopped walnuts or pecans, lightly toasted
4.5 t Ener-g Egg Replacer (add 2 T water at the end if needed)
2/3 C Olive oil
1/4 C Fresh squeezed orange juice
2 t Vanilla Extract
Zest of one orange
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease muffin tins or line with the papers (I used the papers).
2. Put raisins in a small dish and cover with hot water and allow to soak while you prepare the other ingredients.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add carrot, apple, coconut, nuts, apple, and zest.
4. Add all of the wet ingredients plus the drained raisins and mix until combined.
5. Fill the muffin tins 3/4 of the way full. They will look pretty full, but these muffins do not "puff up" like some other muffins do so don't be shy about filling them up.
These muffins were a hit with vegans and non- vegans alike and as usual barely made it 2 days until they were devoured. These muffins are great even with out butter and keep well as long as they are in sealed containers so they can be made a day or two ahead if need be. Enjoy!