Tuesday, April 26, 2011

No- Bake Carrot Cake!

So in the spirit of spring I have to share this amazing cake with you!  All you really need is a food processor and bam! Its done! This is the original recipe and while I like it, I had to give it my own personal touch!


This recipe yields about eight small servings and is a favorite around Easter.  You can make this ahead; just cover and refrigerate.  This cake is extra awesome because it travels really well, making it perfect for family get- togethers!

No- Bake Carrot Cake

3 C. carrot, finely grated (I use the attachment on the food processor)
2 C. pecans, ground in a food processor
1/4 C. raisins, roughly chopped
1 t. nutmeg
1 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 C. dates, pitted
1/2 C. fresh orange juice
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. orange zest
1/2 C. desiccated coconut

1. Put carrots, pecans, raisins, salt, zest, spices, and coconut in a large bowl.
2. Process the dates with the orange juice until smooth.  Add to bowl and mix well. 
3. Now you can form them into the shape you desire.  I use a small sour cream container as a mold and I end up with two cakes (like the one pictured).  You can also make one large cake using either a mold or your hands and a plate.

Creamy Frosting

1 1/2 C. cashews (raw or roasted, but not salted)
1/2 C. water
2 T. agave
3 T. coconut oil
1 T. vanilla
1/4 t. fine sea salt

Blend everything in a food processor until smooth.

Notes: I usually chill the cake and the frosting before attempting to frost the cake.  This makes frosting the cake easier but by no means is necessary.  Many times I have skipped any kind of chilling and just frosted the cake at room temperature.  If your gentle, it will turn out fine!

Once you are done frosting the cake you can chill it to help it firm up a bit if you like.  I usually let it sit out for about 20 minutes before serving.  Helpful tip: don't tell anyone its raw (unless they ask), enjoy the moment when they try to figure out how the delicious cake they are eating is constructed!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for recipe do you have the nutritional values?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! Sorry I don't have any nutritional info on this. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete