Bananas are a staple in our house and it never fails that eventually there are extras that are too ripe to eat. I tired of traditional banana bread long ago and needed variety. There are other treats that I make with over-ripe bananas but this is by far a favorite and something I make probably at least once a month.
Skillet Banana Cake
2 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 C. Honey
1/4 C. Raw Agave Nectar
1/4 C. Palm Sugar
1 1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/2 t. fine sea salt (do not omit this!)
1/2 C. Olive Oil
3 t. Ener-g-Egg Replacer + 3 T. Water
3 Large Ripe bananas, mashed
2 t. Vanilla Extract
3/4 C. Walnuts, toasted and chopped (almonds are good too)
2-4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (I use Ghirardelli chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine all dry ingredients (except chocolate and nuts)
3. In a large bowl combine egg replacer and water. Add oil, bananas, and vanilla, mix.
4. Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate and nuts. Do not over mix- this will make the end product dry!
5. Grease a cast iron skillet. Pour in batter. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy!
So once you make this your house will smell wonderful. Its great for entertaining (I serve it right out of the skillet) and is surprisingly satisfying without tasting too healthy. You could always use dark chocolate if you prefer but I like the taste of the semi- sweet in this bread better. The salt helps to bring out each of the flavors but doesn't make it taste salty at all so make sure to include it.