Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

I'm a huge fan of rhubarb.  A really really big fan. So when I saw rhubarb appearing at the farmers market, (and I started having dreams about eating it) I decided to do something about it.  After tweaking the recipe several times I've finally come up with something that I'm quite happy with and is also quick to make.

*See Below
Rhubarb Upside- Down Cake
Makes one 9 inch cake.

One 9 inch cake pan

Cake:
1/2 C. Palm sugar
1-2 T. Earth Balance vegan butter
2 T. agave nectar
4 C. Rhubarb, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 3/4 C. Whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. sea salt
1 C. Palm sugar or granulated sugar
1/2 C. Coconut oil
1 C. Coconut milk
1 T. pure vanilla extract
Juice from one Lemon (about 2 T.)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Generously grease pan with butter. It is wise to line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper to ensure nothing sticks.  Coat greased pan with 1/2 C. palm sugar. 

2. Spread rhubarb evenly in the bottom of the pan and drizzle with Agave nectar. Set aside.

3.   Whisk together flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl whisk sugar, oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients into the dry until well blended. Whisk in lemon juice vinegar and stir quickly (pale swirls will be in the batter, which is the baking soda reacting with the lemon juice).

4. Pour cake batter over rhubarb,  and bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes.

5. Cool cake for about 5 minutes in pan then place a plate on top, hold firmly and flip over to un-mold. Remove the parchment paper carefully (if you used any).

Fresh out of the oven!
In the end I think all my obsessing over this recipe really paid off.  Afterall, I got to make and eat this lovely cake 3 times in the pursuit!  It's become a favorite in my house so I'll probably have to make it again soon!

Notes: If you do not have palm sugar you can substitute brown sugar in equal amounts.  Maple syrup can also be used instead of agave nectar.


*Photo Courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I love the idea of the coconut milk and oil with the rhubarb and caramel-y sugar. Nice combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete