Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sun Tea FAQ

Ok, so it might seem silly to have a post about Sun Tea but it seems necessary.  Given that tomorrow is going to be 87 degrees and ungodly humid on top of that.  Here are some guidelines for making sun tea.



Looseleaf teas
  • Use 1 t. of loose tea for every 6 oz of water.  
  • I use a coffee filter to hold my tea, and secure it with a rubber band.
  • Use teas that will brew to their fullest flavor in warm water.  (avoid thai tea, cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom, chai) Good choices include black tea, green tea, and white tea varieties.  
  • Do not allow the ball of loose leaf tea to steep overnight.  This will make your tea bitter.  Use a proper storage container for your tea such as glass or a BPA free plastic container. (I use a 2 quart mason jar)
Bag Tea
  • Use 4-6 tea bags for 2 quarts of tea.
  • See above guidelines for picking tea and storage.
  • DO NOT squeeze the tea bags when removing them.  This will make your tea bitter.
 Notes
  • I use agave nectar to sweeten my tea.  It dissolves very quickly into cold liquids with minimal stirring and only barely changes the color of the drink.  Its also a low glycemic index sweetener so you won't suffer from sugar spikes and crashes.
  • Feel free to experiment with different teas! If you're not sure the tea is done, have a taste!
  • I always chill my tea after it's done brewing and I remove the tea ball.  That way my tea isn't diluted by melting ice cubes.
Happy Summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment