Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Salsa Verde


 Last night for dinner I ate bread and (vegan) butter with cinnamon.  Not much of a dinner right? Today I hope to make up for that by making whatever strikes my fancy once dinner rolls around but first lets talk salsa.

Since it's vegan MOFO I've been trying to think of a theme but, honestly, my life is too chaotic for anything to stick so I guess the theme could be "impulse cooking." I try to have some kind of special theme dinner once a week and invite some friends and family over to relax and enjoy.  This week was the Indian Feast, next week I think might be Taco night, so in preparation I'm making some delicious Salsa Verde.



Salsa Verde
3.5 pounds Tomatilos, husked and rinsed
5 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 white onion, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 C. Cilantro, packed
2/3 C. Lime Juice
1 T. Salt

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Spread out tomatilos, garlic, and onion on a cookie sheet.  Roast for 20-35 minutes.
3. In smaller batched blend roasted veggies with the cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
3. Fill canning jars, leaving 1/2" of headspace, finger tighten the lids.  Waterbath can for 15 mins, allow to sit in the water for 5 minutes (with the stove burner off) remove from the water and allow to cool.



Notes: If you want to enjoy this salsa right away or within 5-7 days there is no need to can it, just refrigerate in an air tight container.  It will be very lime flavored in the beginning but will mellow out over time.  Goes great on enchiladas, nachos, or just as a dip for chips.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment